The Dyson Institute is an independent higher education institution and also part of the Dyson Group. The Institute is governed by Council which comprises of Non-Executive Directors, appointees from Weybourne and the Institute’s Director. Academic Board is the senior academic authority responsible for academic standards and quality assurance.
The Institute Management Board (IMB) is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Institute and achieving progress against the strategy. IMB meets fortnightly and is chaired by the Director.
The Institute’s last independent Governance Effectiveness Review was conducted by AdvanceHE in 2022.
492 MB | PDF | 54
Our Council is comprised of the Directors of the company (Dyson Technical Training Limited) and is the ultimate governing body of the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology.
- Mary Curnock-Cook CBE (Chair) - Former CEO of UCAS and Portfolio Non-Executive Director
- Beverley Gibbs - Director of the Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Sir James Bucknall - CEO of Weybourne Ltd
- Lord Jo Johnson - Chair of TES and former Universities Minister of State
- Dr Ant Bagshaw - Education Strategy Consultant at LEK
- Professor Jo Price - Former Vice Chancellor at Royal Agricultural University
- Ian Minards - Chief Product Officer
- Joel Mitchell - Student Representative and Head of Undergraduate Experience Committee
- Laura Garza - Chief People Officer
- Mark Taylor - Chief Research Officer
Academic Board meets five times per academic year and is responsible for the academic governance of the Institute. As a body, its remit includes the management of the academic portfolio, monitoring student performance and initiatives designed to enhance the student experience. Academic Board is responsible for the maintenance of academic standards and academic regulations.
The Institute Management Board (IMB) is comprised of all members of the Senior Leadership Team of the Institute and is chaired by the Director. The IMB is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Institute and for delivering against strategic ambitions.
The following is a non-exhaustive list of other committees and groups which are currently active in the Institute:
- Data Integrity Group
- Compliance and Monitoring Group
- Dyson Institute Planning Group
Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology operates through the Dyson Technical Training Limited legal entity. New Degree Awarding Powers were granted to the institute in 2020 and all subsequent audited financial statements are available below.